Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pre-School or Bust!

Last Tuesday was a big day in the Skalon house (well...before you get too excited, it wasn't THAT big of a day but it felt VERY big to me). Last Tuesday, Duke and I went and toured a pre-School for Addison. (Do any of you reading this have as big of a knot in your stomach over this as I do???) Probably not!

No worries, I am rational enough to understand that this is a much bigger deal to me than anyone else - even in my own household. Duke thinks this will be good for Addison (I know that it will) and Addison is very excited and ready to go...although she is ready to jump right into kindergarten and skip pre-school all together so that she can ride the school bus (this of course puts an even bigger knot in my stomach!). The program we are considering for her is 3 days a week from 9:00 am -12:30 pm, which I think will be a good starting point for her since she has never been in any type of "school" environment before. It is right up the street from us at a local church, which is actually the church I attended throughout high school, so I feel a little more comfortable with that part or I at least feel like I am somewhat familiar with the environment.

Again, I understand that most children cross this milestone sooner than later and I am not the first parent (nor will I be the last parent) to send my child to a pre-school program. However, I simply can not think of another time (up to this point in her life) when as a parent, I am expected to drop my child off with a room of strangers and then leave her....this is the part I struggle with. So, we will see how my feelings on this progress over the summer and I will continue to pray that I become excited. Speaking of getting excited, I do get excited over the idea of being "room mom" and don't think I didn't ask the sweet lady that gave us a tour of the school when I could sign up for that! :)

As always, thanks for sharing in all of our adventures and milestones (big and small) with our family. Any suggestions for me on this topic are greatly welcomed!

2 comments:

The Adams Family said...

I was the same way as you and Emily the same as Addison. You would have thought I was putting her on a plane to go to France for a year. She turned 3 in May and started in August. So she is one of the youngest in her class. She beggs to go everyday. She goes 2 days a week from 9-11:30. She has blossomed over the last 9 months. Oh, and she is the same way about the school bus. I don't know what we are going to do this summer :)

Anonymous said...

Margo I too am not ready for our little baby to start preschool but she is already ahead of me! What does that tell you? I think she is far more than ready. So wipe away your tears and get ready for another big adventure in Addison's life. Just one of thousands to come. I love you baby girl.
Mom